Monday, January 19, 2009

TRIPPING on Trips

Some days are more challenging than others. Last Wednesday was such a day. I was not overjoyed to begin the trip to Seton Hill University knowing that we were going to be driving the vans through snow. This always means that my shoulders, neck, and trapezius muscles are going to be tighter than usual and my eyes will be more fatigued from the constraint strain of watching the road.


Like a dutiful coach, I made myself get mentally ready for the trip knowing that dreading the trip always makes it longer. About 2 1/2 hours into the drive, we stopped at a gas station to purchase windshield wiper fluid which is when I noticed I had managed to leave my purse in the office. The purse contained the cash for the trip, my credit cards, and my driver's license. When I mentioned this to the players, they immediately offered to assist by digging into their pant pockets to retrieve any money they might have. After pooling all their money together, we had about $8.00. My question is: How come they always have money for shoes?

Since we had no money, the players pulled their stocking hats over their heads, pointed their index fingers and thumbs into make-believe guns and told the guy behind the counter that we outnumbered him and could take him by force. I thought this was extremely funny, but I'm not so certain the cashier was as entertained as I was. Instead of holding up the store, we used Coach Fitzgerald's debit card to get us enough cash to make it to Seton Hill.

The drive is only supposed to take 4 hours which is what it took us when we returned home. Unfortunately, I was in the lead. Now why my assistants would let me lead when my sense of direction only includes front, back, left, and right I don't know. Imagine allowing somebody to lead who can get lost leaving a parking lot. (I've managed to do this twice.) Anyhow, six miles from the exit to Seton Hill, I exited onto the turnpike which does not have an exit for 15 miles. We were looking at a 30 minute detour until I talked to the nice man in the turnpike tollbooth. This nice man provided us with a "shortcut." The shortcut was on a winding hilly road that lengthened our trip another hour.


Imagine two vans full of players who are starving, afraid, tired, and wanting desperately to extend their legs. They should have been complaining, but they didn't. Perhaps it was my anger and fatigue that made them react the way they did, but they responded to the adversity they faced with laughter. They made me laugh by reminding of all the platitudes I often provide them: "Be flexible and adaptable." "Get over it." "Suck it up Coach." "You can do it." "The only person who is always right is the person who says, I can't." Then they provided me with a positive circle with each one of them giving me a word of encouragement. Soon I was I actually enjoying time with the team. They had managed to turn a difficult situation into fun.

We often tell the players that they get to choose how they react to every situation. They cannot always control what happens, but they can control their reactions. When I forgot this lesson, they had the fortitude to remind me of what I had so often told them. They created a time of sharing and laughter rather than allowing a long detour to sour their moods.

There are many strengths of a team which are not recognized in statistical columns: role players who love their roles, positive attitudes, belief in team first, good team chemistry, and players who learn to make the best of each situation. The time in the van reminded me of why this team is 12-4. It is not reflected in most of the statistical columns, but it is reflected in their strength of character and their commitment to one another.

To them I say: IHOAGE!

Words from Coach Fitz......I thought the "shortcut" was beautiful. The snow covered hills, the towering pines, and the quaint little farm houses were calling my name. I hope to pack up my snow shoes and/or cross country skis and return to that area again some day!

No comments: