Monday, September 28, 2009

Recovering From Recovery Week

When I was an athlete training with the national team handball team, we trained twice a day year around. It was our life. We got up in the morning, ate, went to the sports medicine center, practiced, went back to the trainers to pack ourselves in ice, ate, slept, then completed the entire morning scenario a second time. It was what I did for over five years.

So when I try to sneak a recovery week into our training schedule for the purpose of our athletes getting a little rest, I may not achieve all the recovery the players wanted. I think I am going easy on them when they think I have swapped one kind of running for another.

This past week instead of running timed sprints on Monday, we played ultimate frisbee and keep away. I believed these were rather innocuous games involving a little running, a little movement here and there, so I couldn't understand why they were out of breath and sweating when we were done. I mean 35 minutes of running should be relaxing. Right?

When Wednesday came around, I had another set of fun games for them to play. One was called Hungarian Dodge Ball and the other was titled Czechoslovakian Dodge Ball. Both of them involve sprinting full court while dodging balls. Again they were putting their hands on top of their heads, leaning over in taking huge gulps of air and perspiring. These were simple, fun games. Why were they acting as if they had just worked out?

By Thursday they were as fatigued as if we had completed a week of our usual conditioning. When I asked Lindsey Kentner, our extreme cardio woman who never gets tired, if she was feeling recovered, I was surprised when she told me that she wasn't. Using my astute deductive reasoning, I deduced if Lindsey was not fully recovered at the end of the week, then the other players would not have found fresh legs either.

Since the purpose of recovery week was for the athletes to refresh both minds and bodies, I had to convince myself on Friday to allow them to simply have fun without any running. I had to talk myself into the belief that we don't want to work harder than every other team in the nation, we want to work smarter. We desire to work smart hard, an endearing term which means we use the muscles of our brain as well as those of our bodies.

I would say when I was an athlete, we didn't use our brains which resulted in many overuse injuries and several losses along the way. Now I know the power of using our brains and hopefully, I am sharing that power with my players which meant that on Friday they were able to laugh and have fun fully recovering mind, body and spirit.

No comments: