Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A Special Team


After our seventh practice in four days, I cannot predict the success of this team, but I can predict they will always give 100%. I am fascinated by the way they constantly put their bodies in jeopardy, diving into the chairs, the scorer's table and each other, wanting the ball so badly they will sacrifice their bodies just to grab it. They don't have to be coerced to take charges; they love taking them. It is an honor to be on the floor and to get their jersey dirty. What is amazing is it is not just one or two players doing this; it is the team.

I'm surprised by their capacity to train hard and then come back three hours later to train hard again. This is a group of players who possess a passion, a love for hustle, a determination that oozes out of their pores. They may not do the drills right or execute the technique the way I want it, but I find it so hard to get mad at them when they are doing it with every ounce of energy they possess.

This team doesn't take the criticism or discipline personally. They recognize it for what it is--the coaches' determination to make them the best they can be. If they are a second late and the team runs, they don't look at each other cross-eyed and curse; they encourage one another to get it done.

The first time we introduce a drill, I can barely stand watching it. We appear so disheveled, so out of sorts, all kind of body parts where they shouldn't be, and yet a day later when we do it again, they seem to have miraculously discovered the formula for running the drill correctly. I'm not certain how they achieve this overnight and want to ask them, but I'm afraid I'll mess up whatever they are doing.

After only six weeks of working with this group of players, I think they are special. I'm not talking necessarily about talent but about their emotional maturity, their willingness to be coached and their never-say-die attitude. They possess something which makes me want to be a better coach, which drives me to work harder to make them better. I think this is the greatest compliment a group of players can have--that they make their coaches want to be better.

PLAY HARD. PLAY TOGETHER.

No comments: