Monday, February 23, 2009

&%#$&*@()#&%^@&!!)(@#*$&!

The title of today's blog is the words I happened to say during and after the game on Thursday. I don't like to curse. I try not to practice cursing but dang-it, I hate losing. I am not a good loser which is one of the reasons I work so hard at winning. I once had a coaching friend of mine say that he thought losing got easier after so many years of coaching. I've not found that to be true. I love to win and love players who love to win.

This team loves to win and certainly competes hard. They did not try to lose on Thursday night. They gave everything they had that night. The problem was they didn't have much to give. Most of them were suffering from some form of the flu where coughing takes over the regular breathing mechanism and the result is the body replaces the exhalation of a breath with coughing fits.

I always tell the players that it doesn't matter if they are sick, tired, injured, angry, sad, or upset. When they get to practice or a game, they have to be there without any excuses. Of course, I understand there are days when the body refuses to give 100%. Yet, I am more concerned about how they are going to enter the battle. If they believe they should play through whatever ails them, they are more likely to do so.

I knew going into the game we were going to struggle because we had not had a successful practice all week. Monday, we didn't have enough healthy players to practice so we shot for 30 minutes. Tuesday, we attempted a practice but discovered that the players couldn't go hard. We ran a 32 second sprint and half of them spent the next two minutes coughing. This was not a good indicator of how we were going to run for the forty minutes which constitutes the length of a game.

I will give credit to Alderson-Broaddus for playing hard, executing their offense, and shooting the ball extremely well the second half. They did what they should have done--take advantage of our inability to play well. Despite having seven sick players out of our nine who play, I was still upset with them. Couldn't they find a way to dig deeper? Couldn't the two who were healthy carry us through the game?

I will admit to being a tad bit demanding. Maybe this was too big of a hurdle for them, but I won't give them that opening. If they search for excuses, they will always find them. I don't want them searching for excuses, I want them searching for answers no matter how difficult the obstacle seems. If they believe they should have overcome their illnesses to win, then the next time players are sick, they will step up and believe they should win anyway. It is always about mental toughness and believing in winning. Always.

No comments: