Monday, August 17, 2009

A Coaching Change

With the start of a new school year comes the beginning of a new season. This one is especially different for me as it will be the first time in 18 years I will be operating without my assistant coach, Lynne Fitzgerald. After 20 years of coaching, she made the determination that she was prepared to search a different direction for what life had to offer. Instead of spending days on end in the gymnasium, she has opted for blue skies, glacier lakes, and the wide expanse of the outdoors. Her focus in on the wilderness and outdoor leadership opportunites.

She has been a phoenomenal recruiter, getting us some of the top players in the WVIAC. Her strength as a recruiter was her ability to talk to anybody and make them feel special. She was also a tremendous teacher on the court. She knew how to break down a skill and develop it piece by piece to enable all players to be successful. One of the most important aspects of her job was to keep me level-headed, positive and coaching the game rather than reacting to the officials. She did this with humor and great insight.

She will be missed as part of the Golden Eagle coaching staff.

I welcome with enthusiasm the new member of my coaching staff, Rachel Pike. Rachel was a Golden Eagle from 2003-2007 and part of a team that acquired 106 wins versus only 24 losses. During her tenure, the team won back-to-back East Regional Championships and advanced to the Elite Eight in both 2005 and 2006.

During the past two years, Rachel was graduate assistant at Tiffin University where she received her Masters in Business Administration with a focus on leadership. While she is young, I have complete confidence in her ability to lead, to teach, to organize and to recruit.

When Rachel was a player, I often told her that she had the wisdom of an eighty year old mind in a twenty year old body. She was mature then in her decision-making and how she responded to conflicts which is exactly why she is a member of the coaching staff.

I often tell my players that you can't stay in the past. You have to perform in the moment. My challenge is to allow the wonderful 18 years spent working beside Coach Fitzgerald to remain part of the past and to be thankful for all she gave to me and the program and to allow Coach Pike to be part of the present.

No comments: