Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Coach Gone MAD?




I've worked diligently over the past few years to get rid of my anger. I've read books, processed past experiences, discussed my history and spent time in meditation and prayer. I've felt a lightness in my heart and joy on my tongue for several months UNTIL our first scrimmage game.




While we have been known to play poorly early in the season, I was distraught over the lack of competitiveness shown in the scrimmage. Passion is something which I know must exist in order for teams to win. There is no substitute for wanting to win and be willing to put everything on the court in order to do so.




After watching the game footage, I seethed for several hours and allowed the anger to stew and get nice and hot. When practice time came, I was ready to let the team know what my expectations were.




Imagine after all the positive words, all the time spent encouraging that some wild maniac shows up for practice.




Don't worry parents. There was no abuse. No balls thrown at your daughters. No words said which weren't carefully chosen to make them become better. There was some spittle coming off my lips, a few veins popping out of my neck, a red hue covering cheeks and throat, and then, there was fire coming right out of my eyes, but nothing which could have caused physical harm.




The problem is this: they are much better than what they showed. They needed to break through their ideas about what they could and could not do. Using anger to get them to move past their limitations isn't my chosen path. I'd prefer just to ask and to watch them grow.




I have learned, though, anger used in the right manner can produce positive results. It is not something to be utilized daily, and it should not be the corner stone of our practice time. Monday, though, it was what was needed.




After I threw my temper tantrum, a qualified two year old's fit, they responded. Ali penetrated to the basket and scored. Tiana picked up her on-the-ball defense. Lindsey became more aggressive on offense looking for her shot. Tarenna decided she could become a scorer outside the paint, and Mo showed her rebounding capabilities.




I, on the other hand, got totally worn out. Exhausted. Pooped right down to my little toe. This mad coach stuff is hard on the heart and the body. Hopefully, I won't have to go back to it this season, but I will if it is needed. They need to know they can become awesome and if it takes me getting out of my comfort zone to make them get out of theirs, then that is what I will do.




I just hope it is not too often. Let us hope our next scrimmage is more promising.




ONE HEART. ONE DREAM.

No comments: